Saturday, November 17, 2012

We're Fine

So I know that a lot has been circulating about stuff happening here, so I would just like to give the facts about what happened last night.
The group I was with had just arrived back at the JC from Ein Karem, a town West of Jeru.  It was probably around 4:30 p.m.  I was just sitting in my room talking to my roommate Alta when after a little while we suddenly heard a loud siren coming from outside.  Then next thing we knew, Bro. Judd called down the hall for us to get to the bomb shelters.  This was precautionary; if an air-raid siren sounds in the city, everyone is supposed to get to a shelter as soon as possible.  About half of the JC students were in the 2nd floor shelter that I went to - the rest went to the shelter on the 6th floor.  We all were just pretty surprised by what was going on, just confused.  After about 20 minutes of sitting and talking and taking a count of who was present, security told us we were free to leave but to meet in the forum to discuss what was going on.  Bro. Kearl informed us that a couple rockets (not bombs) had been fired from Gaza, aimed at the Knesset, but hit south of Bethlehem in some open fields - about 12 miles south of Jerusalem.  He also informed us that it was understood that those were the last rockets to be fired, and we should not expect anything else beyond that.  I never felt unsafe.  I mostly just knew we would be alright because I had prayed and fasted before I came that everything would be fine, but even so I really felt calm and understood that none of the students were ever in harms way.
It was a pretty exciting night!  After the bomb shelter ordeal, we all went to JC Prom!  We all dressed up and went to dinner together as "dates" and had a dance afterward, even with royalty announced.  (Dr. Bench and his wife, here as a service couple, won Prom King and Queen.  It was adorable.)
Anyway, it was a crazy night, but we all are perfectly fine.  Honestly, it wasn't even as exciting as some of the news articles we've read have been making it out to be.  I miss you all!
(I'll attach some pictures from PROM as soon as I get them on my computer!  Until then, enjoy this photo of the Jerusalem sunset :))

1 comment: