Sunday, October 7, 2012

General Conference

I can't post anything else until I've reflected on General Conference.
(Even though I was positive I would not spot anyone in the audience, I still looked for everyone I knew in the Conference Center)

I love General Conference.  It is like a new personal oath every six months to be a little better.  I was talking with some friends here, and we were contemplating how we've grown in the past, both before and after we came to the JC.  Having learned much more about other religions, our faith in Christ and the gospel has only been strengthened.  What sets the church apart is modern-day revelation.  We have the gift of a prophet, and the apostles and leaders of the church are all inspired to lead us.

The first big thing at conference, obviously, was President Monson announcing that young men may now serve missions at age 18, young women at age 19.  We didn't hear the "audible gasp" in the Conference Center very well because we all gasped, too.  There are many girls here who were either thinking about missions before or knew they were going, just waiting another 2 years until they could.  But that statement literally changed a few lives, here.  I am so happy for the girls that have decided to go and serve.  My friend Mikele told me that she had been trying to make plans for this summer, but nothing felt right.  Then she got her answer!  The spirit was so strong when President Monson spoke.  Even though the new announcement didn't affect me very much personally, as I'm already 21, I knew that he was revealing inspired truth and instruction from the Lord.  I still can't tell you that I'm going to serve a mission, but I am so grateful that more have the option to go now.

I'm certain that announcement was hard to follow.  There were so many amazing talks and declarations from the brethren this weekend.  I know you all watched it and I don't need to summarize anything, but I received a lot of personal inspiration in hearing what they had to say.  The last few weeks, we have somehow been focusing a lot of personal growth.  Different speakers in church and our teachers have emphasized making changes and thinking of ways to improve.  Luckily, I listened.  Sometimes the inspiration I received in Conference had nothing to do with what the speaker was saying, but I felt prepared enough this time around to know that the Lord was telling me what I needed to hear.  I am grateful for the challenges my teachers and other students have given me, to make specific lists of what I need to improve upon and pray for spiritual gifts to become perfected.  I absolutely love the notion of progression, of change.  I have so much I need to change in myself, but I have hope that I can because of the Atonement.  We are not stagnant beings.  We have been given everything we need, sometimes all we need to do is use the tools we are given.  It's amazing what a simple but earnest prayer can accomplish.  The Lord is always willing to work with us.

One last thing: President Holland's talk was powerful.  That's the only way I can describe it.  I found myself literally leaning forward on the edge of my seat.  He is so close to Christ, he knows what he says is truth.  I am currently seeking to know and understand eternal truths, so this talk particularly moved me.  If you have not seen it yet, go watch it.  Then watch it again.  Then read it.

I love General Conference. (G. Con!)  It is a beautiful opportunity to sit and listen to prophets, seers, and revelators, and contemplate what Heavenly Father really wants us to hear now.  I personally heard an emphasis on service, missionary work, and families.  Funny how so many of the talks support one another, without the speakers planning to do so.

1 comment:

  1. You know, Kelsey has decided to go on a mission after that announcement. In September. As in 11 months! It is crazy. GC was great - so glad you are having fun!

    ReplyDelete